Weekly Woot & Grumble: Autumnal Sugar Rushes
Here at the , we are celebrating the harbingers of fall that have beset our New England town. There is a marked decrease in temperatures, breezes blow ever-chillier through our open windows, the harvest is nigh, and candy corn is for sale at Stop-n-Shop. I will admit to you right now that I have a wee bit of a candy corn issue. I love it, I crave it all year long, and I recently spent $9 procuring some (ok, a ton). I love its little triangular shape, its ersatz coloring, and its bizarrely synthetic taste. I know it’s wrong, but I can’t stop.
Fall is, without contest, our favorite season. There is something deeply entrenched in our psyches that autumn is a time of joyful crop-gathering and pie baking. Halloween, Thanksgiving, and the myriad accoutrements of each resonate with our idealized visions of early Americana.
Here are some reasons why fall is the best season ever invented:
- No need to run the heat or the AC. Frugal score!
- Leaves change color. They look amazing!
- Candy Corn. I eat it!
- Ideal hiking weather. Truly the absolute best time of year to be on a trail in the woods.
- PUMPKINS! In addition to candy corn, I have a pumpkin addiction. Actual pumpkins, artificial pumpkin flavors, pictures of pumpkins, pumpkin beer, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, things colored like pumpkins, mentions of pumpkins, songs about pumpkins. I cannot get enough. Think it’s a coincidence that Frugal Hound is pumpkin-hued? Think it is also a coincidence that one of her 1,000 nicknames is pumpkin-peanut? It is not.
- Cider doughnuts. This is Mr. FW’s contribution. I’d like to qualify this by letting you folks know that neither of us has ever actually eaten a cider doughnut. Mr. FW likes the mere idea of a cider doughnut because they are a quintessentially New England autumnal offering.
- Candy Corn.
- Frugal Hound loves cooler weather and celebrates by prancing and frisking around outside. She also curls into ever-tigher balls at night to sleep and Mr. FW tucks her in with a blankie.
- Resumption of cooking on the stove and in the oven. Mr. FW steers towards no-cook summer meals as much as possible (like homemade hummus, raw vegetables, and salads) so as not to heat up the house. Fall weather = more elaborate and adventurous offerings from the kitchen.
- Produce prices are lower as harvest time gets underway!
- Candy Corn.
Woot (Part II)
On Monday, I wrote a post about our marriage (mine and Mr. FW’s that is) and it received a ton of insightful comments. I’ve really enjoyed hearing from folks about how they manage their finances in the context of their relationships. And, I’m thankful to everyone who chimed in. If you haven’t had your say yet, head on over to Behind the Scenes of a Happy Frugal Marriage and let me have it!
As I wrote this woot, I lustily consumed almost an entire bag of candy corn*, which is handily more sugar than I’ve had all year. Consequently, I feel ill and have a headache. I have no one to blame but myself and those amazing little triangles of faux-sweetened delight!
*Mr. FW here: I’m confiscating the rest of Mrs. FW’s candy corn stash. She just ran through the kitchen yelling “look, I’m a T-Rex!!!!” while flailing mini T-Rex arms at me and Frugal Hound. This woman cannot handle high fructose corn syrup.
What do you love about the fall?
Never Miss A Story
Sign up to get new Tikhvinskoe stories in your email inbox.